What we’ve achieved so far
- Created a mailing list in the parish of 150 people
- Created a Facebook page with over 100 people following
- Held a Community Event attended by over 100 people (Nov 2019)
- Held an Energy Advice and Information Evening attended by over 40 people
- Held a Pre-loved clothes sale with information about the carbon emissions associated with the fashion industry
- Held an Information and Advice Evening about home insulation, as a result of which 17 households signed up for a reduced rate consultation about the needs of their own homes and priorities for action
- Started work at three small areas of community grassland to increase the range of wild flowers and plants. The lessons we learn will help us to manage more land in the future.
- Helped by 50 people of all ages over 2 days we planted 180 native trees including Beech, Rowan, Whitebeam, Birch, Hawthorn, Wild Cherry and a few English Oak at the site next to the Middle hill allotments. The trees will enhance the landscape, help to slow the flow of water down the hill, increase biodiversity and help keep our air clean. They will create a beautiful spinney in years to come. Thanks also to the Woodland Trust and the Environment Agency who donated the trees.
- Started work with local schools to help them develop their own wildlife areas.
- Held a street meeting to discuss climate change issues and what action we can take individually and as a community. Nine people in one locality discussed renewable energy, car clubs, community composting, e-bikes and a whole range of other issues. This could be replicated across the community.